As your Quincy, MA dentist, we see lots of people who are interested in having their smile whitened. Of course, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Most people know that smoking and chewing tobacco use can have dramatic impact on the appearance of the teeth, but did you know your food choices can influence what your smile looks like? It’s true.
If you want a great smile, you need to know about these five foods that stain your teeth:
1) Red Wine. Red wine has many health benefits, and it’s pretty tasty, but it’s one of the strongest staining agents out there. White wine is better, but only marginally.
2) Tea. Black tea is popular as both a hot and cold beverage. Both types of tea can stain your teeth, even more so than coffee, which has a far worse reputation for its impact on your smile’s appearance.
3) Cola. As your Quincy dentist, you know we don’t love all the sugar that’s in Coke. But cola drinks can also stain your teeth, causing your pearly whites to take on an dull, tired, stained look. We see a lot more cola staining in children who drink a lot of soda.
4) Sports Drinks: At first glance, things like Gatorade and Powerade may appear to be a much healthier option than cola – and a much wiser choice than red wine for the kids! However, highly acidic flavors of these sports drinks can damage the tooth enamel, making your teeth more vulnerable to staining.
5) Berries. Blueberries, raspberries, black berries, cherries, and other berries all have intensely dark juices that can stain the teeth. However, they are healthy snacks – so just make sure you brush promptly after enjoying them!